Monday, May 23, 2011

Wells...Theory on Animation

After reading Wells' Notes On A Theory Of Animation, I realized that I have never given a lot of thought to all of the animated movies that I have seen. I have watched Disney animation for as long as I can remember and I don't believe that I have ever taken the time to understand and fully appreciate the work and time that it takes to make a film that is as enjoyable and entertaining as the ones that I grew up watching.

Wells’ mentioned that experimental films are just as complex and as difficult to make, but I feel like even though they are just as challenging as a narrative animation, they are a lot harder to watch. It’s difficult for me to watch an experimental film, I guess because I have grown up watching linear films and have only gotten to watch experimental in my film classes- I have a lot more experience watching linear, especially animation. (On my list of top 25 movies, 10 of them are animation). It’s hard for me to interpret anything that is not linear and I feel like I’d have to watch the experimental several times over to fully get a grasp on what the director was intending for me to feel.

There are more and more different types of experimental films, and animations films that kids in today’s time watch. I think, after watching some of the animated films in today’s cinema, while I enjoy them greatly, I still love watching my old Disney movies-especially when I’m feeling a little under-the-weather with a bowl of chicken noodle soup J.

No comments:

Post a Comment